Tuesday, May 6, 2008

final sonnet

Rain

A rhythmical hum from the ominous sky
In the blink of an eye, problems absent
Sign that even sometimes the clouds do cry
Clear beads of beauty; lasting abundance

The graceful drop gently kisses your cheek
Arrives fallen fresh from heaven, a gift
Spectrum of many drops that are unique
Recipe for joy, as young spirits lift

Different paths lead to diversity
Ending up on the road back to above
Destiny; to providing life daily
Gone without a single sign of rare love


Downheartedness inhibits my own soul
Gratefulness lacks in this world as a whole.

Analysis

The main point of my sonnet "Rain" comes towards the end of the poem. The last two lines are "Downheartedness inhabits my own soul, gratefulness lacks in this world as a whole." Those lines that I wrote mean, this world needs a lot more appreciation and thankfulness for everything that we have. And for me, seeing the lack of appreciation that occurs in our world makes me sad; and also makes me feel a bit guilty for displaying ungratefulness to people and to things. I made the main point come up in the end of the poem intentionally because I wanted readers to get the idea that everything I wrote before those last two lines are examples of things that we should appreciate in life, and it sort of sums up the poem. Through out my poem, I wrote several metaphors regarding the rain and relating it to many things.
The first metaphor that I including into my sonnet is the line "Sign that even sometimes the clouds do cry." I basically intended that line to represent how, in life not all things are perfect, even if they may appear that way. Like if you look at the clouds during a normal day in the perfect light blue sky, they appear as fluffy white, cotton-balls of perfection, gracefully floating through the sky. But like everything in the world, the clouds aren’t always perfect; sometimes they are large grey blobs that just look like they are taking up space in the sky. I guess this relates to life because, sometimes you look at someone and you are either jealous or think they are lucky, because maybe they posses certain qualities you want to have, but no one or nothing is ever perfect. Your blindness from their "perfection" hides their flaws.
In the second stanza, I wrote, "Different paths lead to diversity, ending up on the road back to above" to represent the many different paths that humans embark on in life that causes people, many times good friends, to go into different directions. You find it often, when you make a change in your life and deal with new people, yet you often run into some of your old friends. For example, I went to a different school before coming to Punahou, and in sixth grade, my cousin who was my best friend from my old school and I, went to different schools. She went to Mid Pac, and I pursued Punahou. Going down our separate paths we both seemed to be doing fine, then last year I found out she was coming to Punahou for this year, which shows that you never know where life will take you, sometimes it will pull you apart, other times bring you together. I put "Ending up on the road back to above" because hopefully when we all are through with our lives, we will all be back in heaven with each other. Metaphorically speaking, raindrops all start out together, then all separate into different paths, and then most of them condensate back into the clouds, together. Following that, I wrote "Gone without even a single sign of rare love" because it was another metaphor for how sometimes you don't appreciate the presence of a person, until they are no longer with you. With the raindrops it's like they come and people don't appreciate the rain, they think more about how it ruins their day, but if we didn't have rain, then there would be constant droughts of no water to refresh the land.
Through all of the metaphors, I think the main purpose in writing this poem, was to say that sometimes you don't appreciated things until they are gone, and then it is too late. And that we should learn to be grateful for what we have.

No comments: